A soft sandstone which
hardens with age - local carrstone - has been used
in conjunction with other stones in the building of
this church. The church is partly 12th century
whilst the main structure was added in the late 13th
century. The south porch and clerestory were
added in the early 15th century.
In 1894 a Victorian west gallery and small organ
were dismantled, as were the box pews. In 1928
restoration work took place. This involved the
removal of a false ceiling in the nave and chancel
(dating from 1800) and the removal of the infilling
of the chancel arch.
The stained glass in the tracery of the aisle
windows is 19th and 15th century.
There are many interesting memorials in the church
which are well worth reading.
One such memorial is an unknown knight in armour
made of London brass (1485). The figure stands
27 inches and, unlike many Norwich made brasses, is
not deeply etched.
View of the access step from the church tower
(Access is not available to the public)
north clerestory wall hatchments display the arms of
three local gentlemen. Opposite on the south
wall are the arms of their widows.
church organ was built in 1914 by T R Spurdon Rutt &
Co of London for the East Finchley Congregational
Church. It arrived in Heacham in 1970 with
assistance from local organ builders, A J Shaw
& Sons. In 1992, the organ was improved
by Holmes & Swift. It now has 3 manuals with
In recent years the
pews in the central part of the nave were replaced
with individual chairs and a raised carpeted
platform was created at the front/altar. These
changes enabled the building to accommodate
concerts, holiday clubs, harvest suppers and
occasional café style morning services.
An extension was added to the north elevation of the
church in the early 1990s, providing a small meeting
room, a kitchen area and toilets with disabled