Church Notice Board....Click Here
The Church of St Mary the Virgin is the most ancient building left in the Village. It dates from 1230 and is Norman in design. It is not a remarkable Church as far as architecture is concerned.
The first impression gained is of light, having very little stained glass accounts for this. The great West Window is beautiful in its simplicity: while beneath it stands the font, as old as the Church itself. In the cupula on the tower hangs a bell (circa 1100), the oldest in East Anglia, and one of the seventh oldest in the whole country. The transepts have been lost as well as 12 feet from the east end, and the roof has been lowered. What beauty was lost to us here we will never know.
Although marred by passing centuries the Church remains the centre of village history and a place where prayer is wont to be made.
This is a living community of faith, with the largest congregation in the area. We have three services in the church every Sunday and part of the congregation meets on the other side of the village so people can walk to worship.
This is an
extract from a booklet called 'Heacham Alive' printed by Witley Press Hunstanton
sold in aid of Heacham Parish Church available from the 'Card Cabin' in the